About Cat Ellen and CaySwann Dance
Cat Ellen is a FatChanceBellyDance® Sister Studio, an American Tribal Style® (ATS®) bellydance certified instructor. CaySwann Dance is her virtual studio for instruction and performance.
Cat’s primary goal is to bring a fun and personally fulfilling bellydance experience to as many people as possible, both fellow dancers and audience members. As a group, improvisational dance form, ATS® can be the most elaborate game of follow-the-leader you have ever experienced. But beyond the dance vocabulary of movement, formations, cues, and flow, Cat hopes to empower dancers to embrace movement without shame, fitness for all sizes, and the joy and beauty in the community we build in which our job is to make everyone look good.
How Can You Take Classes?
Classes are offered in two cities right now.
- Sundays in North Hollywood, CA – Level Two (1-2 PM) and Level One (2-3 PM). Session 1 is in progress. Session 2 runs March-April. Session 3 runs May-June.
- Tuesdays in Oxnard, CA – Classes return in March: Level Two (7-8 PM) and Level One (8-9 PM) Session 2 runs March-April. Session 3 runs May-June.
How Much is Class?
Tuition options range between $10-15 per class. Check out the various ways to purchase your class tuition.
- You can RSVP on Facebook or on Meetup
- You can email Cat Ellen at email@example.com to reserve your spot
What Do I Wear to Class?
When Does the Next Session Start?
Sundays in North Hollywood, CA
Madilyn Clark Studios, 10852 Burbank Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91601
ATS® Dance Fundamentals (Level 1 and 1+) from 2-3 PM
ATS® Tribal Combinations (Level 2 and 2+) from 1-2 PM (Instructor approval needed for Level 2)
- 2019 Session 1 (January-February): Jan 6, Jan 13, Jan 20, Feb 3, Feb 10, Feb 17, Feb 24 [no class Jan 27, 7-week session] Classes are held in Studio C.
- 2019 Session 2 (March-April): Mar 3 (free class, Studio B), Mar 10 (week 1, Lvl 2 in C, Lvl 1 in B), Mar 17, Mar 24, Mar 31, Apr 7, Apr 14, Apr 21, Apr 28 (open party) Classes are held in Studio C, except where noted.
- 2019 Session 3 (May-June): May 5, May 12, May 19, Jun 2, Jun 9, Jun 23, Jun 30 (open party). (May 26 and Jun 16: no class) Classes held in Studio C.
Tuesdays in Oxnard, CA
Club NEMA Bellydance, 108 E 5th Street, Oxnard CA, 93030 (just off Oxnard Blvd)
ATS® Dance Fundamentals (Level 1 and 1+) from 8-9 PM
ATS® Tribal Combinations (Level 2 and 2+) from 7-8 PM (Instructor approval needed for Level 2)
- 2019 Session 1 (January-February): Postponed while the studio moves – The new studio location is at 108 E 5th Street, Oxnard CA, 93030 (just off Oxnard Blvd).
- 2019 Session 2 (March-April): Mar 5 (free class), Mar 12, Mar 19, Mar 26, Apr 2, Apr 9, Apr 16, Apr 23, Apr 30 (open party)
- 2019 Session 3 (May-June): May 7, May 14, May 21, Jun 4, Jun 18, Jun 25 (May 28 and Jun 11: no class)
Cat’s ATS History
Cat first found ATS in 2010 in Los Angeles. Enrolling first in one, then two, then as many classes as she could per week, Cat threw herself into learning ATS as quickly as possible. That first fateful class, she had only two thoughts the entire hour: “I have to teach this some day” and “When do I get to put my arms down?”
After several years studying and two years performing in a student troupe, Cat branched out on her own to pursue certification from Carolena Nericcio, the founder of FatChanceBellyDance®.
Cat earned her General Skills certifications in April 2013 and her Teacher Training in October 2014. She is a fully recognized FatChanceBellyDance® Sister Studio and ATS® Certified Instructor, and has been SSCE Re-Certified in August 2018.
There are two key philosophies that Cat brings to her instruction. The first concept is “No Pressure, No Shame.” One reason she loves ATS so much is that it can be extremely inclusive of all ages, shapes, sizes, and abilities. Secondly, each of us has “This Body on This Day.” If you need to miss a class, that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. Perhaps your car broke down, or you got stuck in traffic, or you caught a cold, or a loved one needs you. No Shame. And there’s no point in stressing out that you no longer have the body of your youth, or you’re recovering from surgery, or you are battling exhaustion or other ailments. You have this body on this day, so what do you plan to do with your body? If you come to class, you’ll be encouraged to move within the best abilities of your body on this day. And hopefully you can have fun while doing so.
How Can I See More?
About the Trademarks
FatChanceBellyDance®, FCBD®, ATS® and American Tribal Style®, are federally registered trademarks of FatChanceBellyDance, Inc. For more information, please visit fcbd.com/about/legal-policy/.