Costuming: Choli Sources
Now that you’ve started dancing, where can you find the half-top called a choli for rehearsals or for performances? Here are several sources. They are listed in alphabetical order, and I am happy to talk to you about which cholis I’ve ordered or seen in person.
- Alma Tribal Cholis – https://www.facebook.com/alma.tribal.cholis – made in Buenos Aires – fabrics include patterned and solid stretch lycra
- Chovihani – Nikii Henry – https://www.etsy.com/shop/chovihani – made in Glendale, CA, fabrices include stretch brocade, lace
- Devadasi Designs – Gudrun Herold – https://www.facebook.com/DevadasiDesign/ – designs by a dancer, can do custom sizes, made by hand in Europe, fabrics include stretch velvet, cotton jersey, patterns, solids
- Flying Skirts – http://www.flyingskirts.com/ – made in San Francisco, fabrics include rayon jacquard, stretch velvet, lace, stretch cotton lycra, ghawazee sleeve tunics, some cholis embellished with trim
- Gypsy Dream Clothing – https://www.facebook.com/GypsyDreamClothing/ – http://gypsydream.net/gd-tops/ – Padma cholis (made from indian saris)
- Irie Tribal – Cyndi Cyreigna Elliott – https://www.etsy.com/shop/irietribal – various styles, designs by a dancer, made by hand in Kansas, can do custom sizes, fabrics include stretch velvet, cotton spandex, lace, patterns, solids
- Layercake Lovely – Kayla Tobin – sells through Twisted Gypsy https://www.facebook.com/TwistedGypsyTribal/ , designs by a dancer, made by hand in California
- Magical Fashions – https://www.facebook.com/magicalfashions/ – supportive vendor of bellydance events, designs by sole proprietor of business, made in India by various groups contracted by Krishna (often the folks who do that hand block-printing of some of the fabrics), laced bodices made from sari fabric, cholis made from cotton block-print fabric
- Tribal Art Wear – http://tribalartwear.com/ – fabrices include ethnic fabrics, sari brocades, cotton lycra, stretch velvet
- Tribe Nawaar – https://www.tribenawaar.com/product-category/tops/ – selected or hand made in Colorado, fabrics and designs include cotton lycra (including dyeable white blanks), lace, stretch velvet, corseted bodices, fluted sleeve wrap tops, rajasthani ethnic fabric cholis
- Velvet Claw Designs – Maxine Parfitt Brennan – https://www.facebook.com/VelvetClawDesigns/ – made in the UK, fabrics include stretch velvet and lace
Want to print this list as a PDF? Click here to download.